#Badinfluence @ Irc.DeltaAnime.net
 
PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQMemberlistUsergroupsSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Tech: Computers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 am

Just looking for some knowledge on computers for those of you that understand what gigahertz and shit is.. I never really got it.

How much do you think it'd cost to run a decent computer?
Windows XP of course.

If you could choose a setup (not your dream one, I'm no millionaire) what would it be?

For instance, if I were to continue playing L2 and frapsing ingame, what would be a good/decent set up to play with so their would be minimum lag spikes and etc?

Anyone?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeCroStriKeR
Hokage
Hokage
avatar

Number of posts : 565
Age : 28
Location : Greece
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:27 am

so.
cpu: core 2 quad 2,5Ghz x4 200$
ram: 4GB dual channel (1066mhz each) 120$
HDD: whatever from 100 till 500GB 50$-100$
motherboard: asus P5kQ PRO 150$
cpu cooler: Scythe coolermaster sphere 30$
graphic card: Nvidia Geforce 9500+ or ATI HD 2800+ 150$-300$

im lazy to calculate so gl ;p
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Info-quest.gr
KnightHawk
Examiner
Examiner
avatar

Number of posts : 194
Age : 29
Location : Florida
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 am

Here's a decent budget setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
Western Digital 500GB $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB RAM $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220269
ASUS P5K Motherboard $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131278
OCZ 600W Power Supply $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
PNY Geforce 9600 GT $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133239
Computer Case $30+
DVD/CD Drive/Burner(if you don't already have one) $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

Total: ~$500 to $600

Do you want to build it yourself or order one from a company that will build it for you(kinda like dell)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/knighthawk
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:20 pm

NeCroStriKeR wrote:
so.
cpu: core 2 quad 2,5Ghz x4 200$
ram: 4GB dual channel (1066mhz each) 120$
HDD: whatever from 100 till 500GB 50$-100$
motherboard: asus P5kQ PRO 150$
cpu cooler: Scythe coolermaster sphere 30$
graphic card: Nvidia Geforce 9500+ or ATI HD 2800+ 150$-300$

im lazy to calculate so gl ;p

Sweet!

KnightHawk wrote:
Here's a decent budget setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
Western Digital 500GB $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB RAM $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220269
ASUS P5K Motherboard $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131278
OCZ 600W Power Supply $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
PNY Geforce 9600 GT $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133239
Computer Case $30+
DVD/CD Drive/Burner(if you don't already have one) $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

Total: ~$500 to $600

Do you want to build it yourself or order one from a company that will build it for you(kinda like dell)?

Most likely from a company so I wouldn't fuck nothin' up.
But if I read up enough, I'd probably feel confident enough to put it together myself lol.

Thanks a lot though, I'm definitely gonna look into this a lot more cause it's actually affordable haha.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gibjab
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1156
Age : 25
Location : Under your Bed
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:22 pm

that build hawk just gave works out to around 275 which is like 2 months work which is soooo worth it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Gibjab wrote:
that build hawk just gave works out to around 275 which is like 2 months work which is soooo worth it

Well, i'll be able to afford within' this month if I buy it instead of a projector lol.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draven
Super Saiyan 4
Super Saiyan 4
avatar

Number of posts : 955
Age : 28
Location : North Carolina, United States of America
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:47 am

Knighthawk is my #1 computer consultant btw gavin, I'd go to him before ANYONE else I know =x

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/Kahlil
NeCroStriKeR
Hokage
Hokage
avatar

Number of posts : 565
Age : 28
Location : Greece
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 am

i wouldnt go for a core2duo processor with 2,53Ghz only
and for 4gb 800mhz ram.. way too slow

ps: OCZ are one of the cheapest power suppliers and most unstable.
prefer Coolermaster which are OP

about ram: Mushkin and again Mushkin No1 awards for the fastest and cheapest ram!with life warranty

core2quad is 2 times faster and only 50$ more expensive
the core2duo that knighthawk mentioned is on full power without overclocking at: 5,12Ghz

the core2quad is at: 10Ghz without overclocking

the asus p5k... rofl at that.. have you ever tried to overlock it?
his bios Is on ati perf, that means it can only overclock ati supported gears like graphic card (and cant afford core2extreme technology)

geforce 9600 is ok but after 3years it will be low (microsoft is developing direct x 11) and even so the graphic card MUST have a hdmi slot or even HD Ready for high definition graphics) if you try to sli the 9600 on the asus p5k it'll fail cause the sync of the motherboard is on 100mhz 420MaH
it requires at least 560Mah

this is it.

if you want a cheap computer that will last for 2years this one is ok
but if you want a computer that rocks some games rly hard go for something more OP

ps: my pc is on core2quad 2,5Ghz 8GB ram and nvidia 9800GX (kubuntu operator the only one that provides 8GB ram linux)
and yea its fucking awesome i play like all the games with full graphics and shits i open like 16 L2 interlude clients in 5min. i just love it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Info-quest.gr
Gibjab
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1156
Age : 25
Location : Under your Bed
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:05 pm

NeCroStriKeR wrote:
i wouldnt go for a core2duo processor with 2,53Ghz only
and for 4gb 800mhz ram.. way too slow

ps: OCZ are one of the cheapest power suppliers and most unstable.
prefer Coolermaster which are OP

about ram: Mushkin and again Mushkin No1 awards for the fastest and cheapest ram!with life warranty

core2quad is 2 times faster and only 50$ more expensive
the core2duo that knighthawk mentioned is on full power without overclocking at: 5,12Ghz

the core2quad is at: 10Ghz without overclocking

the asus p5k... rofl at that.. have you ever tried to overlock it?
his bios Is on ati perf, that means it can only overclock ati supported gears like graphic card (and cant afford core2extreme technology)

geforce 9600 is ok but after 3years it will be low (microsoft is developing direct x 11) and even so the graphic card MUST have a hdmi slot or even HD Ready for high definition graphics) if you try to sli the 9600 on the asus p5k it'll fail cause the sync of the motherboard is on 100mhz 420MaH
it requires at least 560Mah

this is it.

if you want a cheap computer that will last for 2years this one is ok
but if you want a computer that rocks some games rly hard go for something more OP

ps: my pc is on core2quad 2,5Ghz 8GB ram and nvidia 9800GX (kubuntu operator the only one that provides 8GB ram linux)
and yea its fucking awesome i play like all the games with full graphics and shits i open like 16 L2 interlude clients in 5min. i just love it

didnt understand all that computer shizzle but how much was your comp and how long ago?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:25 pm

NeCroStriKeR wrote:
i wouldnt go for a core2duo processor with 2,53Ghz only
and for 4gb 800mhz ram.. way too slow

ps: OCZ are one of the cheapest power suppliers and most unstable.
prefer Coolermaster which are OP

about ram: Mushkin and again Mushkin No1 awards for the fastest and cheapest ram!with life warranty

core2quad is 2 times faster and only 50$ more expensive
the core2duo that knighthawk mentioned is on full power without overclocking at: 5,12Ghz

the core2quad is at: 10Ghz without overclocking

the asus p5k... rofl at that.. have you ever tried to overlock it?
his bios Is on ati perf, that means it can only overclock ati supported gears like graphic card (and cant afford core2extreme technology)

geforce 9600 is ok but after 3years it will be low (microsoft is developing direct x 11) and even so the graphic card MUST have a hdmi slot or even HD Ready for high definition graphics) if you try to sli the 9600 on the asus p5k it'll fail cause the sync of the motherboard is on 100mhz 420MaH
it requires at least 560Mah

this is it.

if you want a cheap computer that will last for 2years this one is ok
but if you want a computer that rocks some games rly hard go for something more OP

ps: my pc is on core2quad 2,5Ghz 8GB ram and nvidia 9800GX (kubuntu operator the only one that provides 8GB ram linux)
and yea its fucking awesome i play like all the games with full graphics and shits i open like 16 L2 interlude clients in 5min. i just love it

yeah, how much did yours cost?
but I mean, don't be raggin' on hawk about what he told me, I was lookin' for something cheap.

Of course I'd love a build like yours, and feel more motivated to save some cash and get it instead but if you guys can set me up with something universal to where as I can get a cheap set up, and then slowly upgrade it as technology and my wallet grows, that'd be gnar as well.

I just want something to where I'll be able to run games like L2, and be able to multi-task with minimum lag. Divine (bot prog.) takes up a lot of my resources for L2, and aside that I try to fraps encounters.

I have a gig of ram but I heard that ain't shit, especially since my CPU ain't great either. (from what I'm told.. I mean, I have no clue what components boost the other and etc. Will totally listen though if anyone is ever bored enough to explain).

Since I did that DxDiag thing for DarkFall beta, this might help enlighten my situation.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/1/2008, 18:10:22
Machine name: NA-E6D627352FED
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Latitude D600
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A16
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 745MB used, 1716MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI MOBILITY/RADEON 9000 AGP (0x4C66)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C66&SUBSYS_011D1028&REV_02
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6587 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/10/2005 22:49:44, 252416 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 11/10/2005 22:49:24, 1406464 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0F26-11CF-236A-1721A3C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x4C66
SubSys ID: 0x011D1028
Revision ID: 0x0002
Revision ID: 0x0002
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBLineReplicate
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-----------------------------------


I looked into upgrading my video card and shit for my laptop (current computer and same one for the past.. 4 or 5 years) a while back but from what I read, I can't do anything because of my motherboard. Everything conflicts with each other and would be utterly useless.

Hence why I'm looking for a new build layout, which I can upgrade when cash flows into my pocket. Granted I work a shitty part time job.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gibjab
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1156
Age : 25
Location : Under your Bed
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:30 pm

almost as bad as my computer lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeCroStriKeR
Hokage
Hokage
avatar

Number of posts : 565
Age : 28
Location : Greece
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 pm

lol hawk sent a good and cheap computer
i didnt say anything! he's friend and he knows about computers
i just said if you need a cheap one go for hawk's if not go for something more uber


ps: we all love each other here in BI community bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Info-quest.gr
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:02 am

NeCroStriKeR wrote:
lol hawk sent a good and cheap computer
i didnt say anything! he's friend and he knows about computers
i just said if you need a cheap one go for hawk's if not go for something more uber


ps: we all love each other here in BI community bounce


HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP

How much was yours?


elephant

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gibjab
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1156
Age : 25
Location : Under your Bed
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:19 am

dodging bullets much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 am

I'd rather just be able to spend 5/600 on a decent setup, but a setup that could be turned OP with another 5/600. I wouldn't wanna spend 5/600, then a grand on a whole new one.

ya diiggg?

oh and..



WHAT THE BEANS

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunatic
Genin
Genin


Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $44.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R - $111.99 after $15 MIR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - $119.99
RAM: 2X2GB GSKILL 1000Mhz - $64.99
Videocard: Sapphire HD4850 - $133.99 after $20 MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB/32MB Cache - $69.99
PSU: Corsair TX650W - $79.99 after $20 MIR
DVD Burner: LiteOn LH-20A1S - $24.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $650.92

Here you got urself a medium-high end game system Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gibjab
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1156
Age : 25
Location : Under your Bed
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:04 pm

yer thats cool and you can always upgrade the CPU and Videocard later on when u get monies im gonna as my dad bout this get him to pay for it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Lunatic wrote:
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $44.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R - $111.99 after $15 MIR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - $119.99
RAM: 2X2GB GSKILL 1000Mhz - $64.99
Videocard: Sapphire HD4850 - $133.99 after $20 MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB/32MB Cache - $69.99
PSU: Corsair TX650W - $79.99 after $20 MIR
DVD Burner: LiteOn LH-20A1S - $24.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $650.92

Here you got urself a medium-high end game system Smile

Friggin' sweet.
What about getting this CPU instead though.

Only 70 or so bucks extra, and would be 2x better.
At least, I believe this is what Necro was sayin'.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:32 pm

clown

Moved and created a new forum for this awesome shit.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunatic
Genin
Genin


Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 pm

xGavin wrote:
Lunatic wrote:
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $44.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R - $111.99 after $15 MIR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - $119.99
RAM: 2X2GB GSKILL 1000Mhz - $64.99
Videocard: Sapphire HD4850 - $133.99 after $20 MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB/32MB Cache - $69.99
PSU: Corsair TX650W - $79.99 after $20 MIR
DVD Burner: LiteOn LH-20A1S - $24.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $650.92

Here you got urself a medium-high end game system Smile

Friggin' sweet.
What about getting this CPU instead though.

Only 70 or so bucks extra, and would be 2x better.
At least, I believe this is what Necro was sayin'.

Well, it doesnt really run at "2 x 2.4 = 10~ Ghz".

All games that are out now, only use 2 cores (with exception to Supreme Commander and likely the upcoming GTA4) so having a quadcore would be useless here.

Lets say we have a dualcore running at 3Ghz, that would make the game run at "6Ghz"
Now lets say we also have a quadcore, but this one is running at 2.4Ghz. That would make the game run on "4.8Ghz" because the game only supports 2 cores.

As you can see, the dualcore has a way bigger advantage then the quadcore here.

But if a game would support 4 cores, it would be a whole different story. Then it would be "6Ghz" vs "9.6Ghz", where the quadcore would be in a MAJOR advantage.

This is just my theory, it works different in practice. clown

Nevertheless, the Q6600 is a great CPU. I got it to, running at 3.2Ghz (Cant go much higher because i have a shitty chip, need 1.43 volt for this Sad)

Might be a better choice if u'r not looking forward to upgrading again in the next 3~ years.

p.s
I also got the same HDD as in that list, the dvd burner, the 1066Mhz version of the memory, and the bigger brother of that card.. the HD4870. Quality stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 pm

I see, well I don't think I'm branching out farther than L2 and Darkfall lol, but I just want a machine that can multi-task without locking up during whatever I'm doing.

If the the quad core doesn't help with this, than I will definitely aim for the dual core. I just don't wanna get the dual, than realize I needed the quad, or the quad would be way more efficient. I mean, I don't know much about this sorta thing, hence the topic. I'll take your advice over my own logic haha.

Now you have a shitty chip? What's a decent chip, and what's an OP chip? I mean, I'm aimin' for a good computer, I just want to verify that I'm not spending like 2 grand on it though. tryin' to stay in between 500-800.

But I don't want to overspend on useless gadgets as well.

So far it seems like the only things that would make a big difference is the CPU and RAM right? And the motherboard is what supports everything, so I'd want something OP in that department as well right? Of course the other components are essential but what's really going to make the difference? Very Happy Forgive my lack of understanding.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunatic
Genin
Genin


Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:38 pm

xGavin wrote:
I see, well I don't think I'm branching out farther than L2 and Darkfall lol, but I just want a machine that can multi-task without locking up during whatever I'm doing.

If the the quad core doesn't help with this, than I will definitely aim for the dual core. I just don't wanna get the dual, than realize I needed the quad, or the quad would be way more efficient. I mean, I don't know much about this sorta thing, hence the topic. I'll take your advice over my own logic haha.

Now you have a shitty chip? What's a decent chip, and what's an OP chip? I mean, I'm aimin' for a good computer, I just want to verify that I'm not spending like 2 grand on it though. tryin' to stay in between 500-800.

But I don't want to overspend on useless gadgets as well.

So far it seems like the only things that would make a big difference is the CPU and RAM right? And the motherboard is what supports everything, so I'd want something OP in that department as well right? Of course the other components are essential but what's really going to make the difference? Very Happy Forgive my lack of understanding.

Well, i have a shitty chip because it has the highest VID (standard voltage, for the Q6600 this varies from 1.1125 - 1.3250) for the Q6600 available. This means that it requires a lot of extra voltage for just a light overclock. Other people with a low VID for example could run their chip at 3.2Ghz without even touching the voltages.

It's plain luck what VID you get seeing as this is different for every chip (thought it had something to do with where on the wafer it was baked, further from the center = higher vid). It is very unlikely that you get lucky with a low vid seeing as almost all newer Q6600's have VIDs varying from 1.3000 to 1.3250.

For now, quadcores are awesome if you do heavy 3D stuff like AutoCAD e.d and multitask alot.

It's really up to you, if you stick with those games you'll be fine with a dualcore (This is if you are going to overclock. The E7200 is an awesome overclocker, if you are not going to overclock it's better to pick a E8400 (or E8500 seeing as the price difference is minimal between them these days)).

But on the other hand, Nehalem is coming out this month.. some serie's of this processor have 8 cores. So it is possible that multi core's will be supported by more and more programs very quickly.

The main parts responsible for performance are the CPU, RAM, and Motherboard (and the Videocard for gaming purposes).

edit:
If you want to know more about this stuff, i really suggest this forum: http://www.overclock.net/ It has a shitload of information about hardware e.d!

Until about 4 months ago i was pretty much "new" to hardware again, it had all faded away. Not that the information i knew would have helped now seeing as its been about 5 years ago (this is like century's in hardware country) and i had an AMD instead of Intel system.
But anyway, you can see how much that forum has helped me! Wink


Off to sleep now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xGavin
Deity
Deity
avatar

Number of posts : 1119
Age : 27
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 am

Thanks man, will definitely read up on it.
Take care. cheers

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeCroStriKeR
Hokage
Hokage
avatar

Number of posts : 565
Age : 28
Location : Greece
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 am

Lunatic wrote:
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $44.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R - $111.99 after $15 MIR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - $119.99
RAM: 2X2GB GSKILL 1000Mhz - $64.99
Videocard: Sapphire HD4850 - $133.99 after $20 MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB/32MB Cache - $69.99
PSU: Corsair TX650W - $79.99 after $20 MIR
DVD Burner: LiteOn LH-20A1S - $24.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $650.92

Here you got urself a medium-high end game system Smile
good one! just the psu is kinda sucky cause corsair sucks some.
for the PSU search for something else imo

mine costs about 600
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Info-quest.gr
Lunatic
Genin
Genin


Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2007-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 am

Actually, Corsair makes great PSU's. They have very strong 12V rails and have an efficiency of 80%+. That 650TX has 56A on the 12V, thats only 1A less then my $100 M620 which has 57A combined on 3 12V rails. (And 1 Rail is better then multiple, too)
Also noticed that the 650TX has a $30 instead of $20 MIR on newegg, makes it $69.99

You really dont need 650W for that system but the 650TX was cheaper then the 550VX so.. If you want you can also grab a Cooler Master Real Power Pro M520
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tech: Computers   

Back to top Go down
 
Tech: Computers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Tech Paths
» Hi tech miniatures
» myportal.itt-tech.edu
» BeamNG.Drive tech demo (pc driving/physics simulator)
» Tech Editor/Maker

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Bad Influence Multigaming Community :: General :: Tech Support-
Jump to: